5.05.2013

Week 18: Living Prophets



Song: We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet (H. 19)

Thought: You can always trust the living prophets. Their teachings reflect the will of the Lord, who declared: “What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same” (D&C 1:38). (True to the Faith: Prophets)

Object Lesson: Destiny Dice- Using a single dice, sit in a big circle. We went around the circle each asking a yes or no question to the Destiny Dice. Then the person asking the question would roll the dice. If it was an odd number, the answer was no. If it was an even number, the answer was yes. We had some surprising and interesting questions...ranging from "Will I ever visit the country of Canada?" to "Should I have pre-marital sex". The answer to that one from Destiny Dice was yes! Anyway...after each person had a chance to play, I told them that life doesn't have to be a "roll of the dice". We have prophets, the scriptures, personal revelation, priesthood leader, parents, etc to lead and guide us. And especially if Destiny Dice (or the world) tells us something like pre-marital sex is okay, we can know through the things listed above the way the Lord truly wants us to go. I am sure you get my drift. It was an enjoyable and yet effective teaching tool. (Terisa in Wyoming) [Found through Sugardoodle]


Lesson Activity:
Here is a maze that your younger children may enjoy figuring out while the older members of your family study the following talk.
Read or watch Elder Claudio R. M. Costa’s talk “Obedience to the Prophets,” and ask your family to listen for the 14 principles Elder Costa describes and then discuss why these principles are important for us to understand.

This Week's Challenge: Find time this week to study one of Pres. Monson's talks from the most recent general conference and look for things that our living Prophet is teaching us today.

No comments: